Tuesday, August 24, 2004

home sweet home

back in singapore and the weather is a lovely kind of sticky. so damn humid it's like you have to constantly be in the shower to feel cool, but i'd so much rather be in the tropics than have my extremities frozen off in cooler temperatures. i hate that i have to wear socks/very thick bedroom slippers around the house, long pj pants, sweaters and have my skin flaking from the dryness. i hate coming out of the shower and shivering my butt off. but there's bad things about being in the heat too. my toes for one, swell up and turn a gross pink. they look like mutated appendages and there's nothing i can do to make them look less fat and inflated unless i wear an icepack in my shoe. that time we went to costa rica for spring break and the minute we got off the plane, my feet started morphing and at once i knew--i'm in the tropics. just like rheumatic people get pain in the bones when it's going to rain, i get swollen/pink feet when the average daily temperature year round is a 28 degrees celsius.

last night i made a mexican dinner for family and some friends. my virgin attempt with mixed reviews. it wasn't anywhere close to big ten, but hey, gimme two or three more tries and i think i might give them a run for their money.

i still haven't had my tau hway since coming back. :(

i also went for my first pedicure ever the other day. the only reason was because there was some promotion going on so it only set me back $16. not too bad coz i pity the people who have to deal with my tropics-indicator feet.

all the girls at home are so skinny it's not funny. but i guess me being bigger is a good thing because then i don't look the same as every other girl on the street (eh, and although they do look kinda cookie-cutterish, i have to say they are all pretty darn hot)--twiggy legs, short short denim skirt with small small tight tight tank top, rebonded/ceramic permed hair with gold/bronze (depending who they support this olympics) highlights. but there are just sometimes, some times, i wish i could just shrink and be like them and feel less like a giant here in my homeland. welcome to liliput.

speaking of olympics, i just found out that the president of the olympics committee this year is the athletic director at the university of michigan. woo hoo. GO BLUE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home