Tuesday, November 09, 2004

cold as hell

yeah sarah, all my lovely white christmas dreams i threw out the window ever since i started school at Michigan too. now i hate the powdery white stuff that freezes over to form hard sheets that i too often have slipped and hurt my buttocks on. BAH. hate winter. though there's heat in my room, it's drying my skin out like a desert and outside is too damn cold i just want to wrap myself in a blanket damn it.

today i met kelly for coffee. we went to this swanky italian cafe midtown and everything was too overpriced for my liking. funny because both of us used to study at cafe rendezvous--bohemian/hippie hangout of ann arbor. so watching him sip a posh cappucino and me with my gioppicia (??) verde bancha with all these people in suits and stuff...something was just not right.

lynette's here for two days and we met up for a little, shopped at h&m and went to nonya for some char kway teow, prawn mee, hokkien mee, sambal kang kong, roti prata, fried tofu and chendol. thank goodness we had richmond's help and also morgan stanley/citigroup's expense accounts which paid for my dinner and cab ride home. whoopie! cheers to investment banks!

"for bohemians what mattered above all else, and certainly above the ability to pay for an elegant home or clothes, was the be receptive to the world and to devote oneself as a spectator or creator, to the primary repository of feeling art. The martyr figures of the bohemian value system were those who had sacrificed the security of a regular job and the esteem of their society in order to write, paint or make music, or devote themselves to travel or to their friends and families."
--alain de botton, status anxiety

i think de botton is now my favourite quote. status anxiety is quite a great book although i am still a wannabe-bohemian and perhaps will only live up to it in style--bohemian eclectic, was my self-description when peiru asked me ten years ago, "so what's your style?" (of course hers was tomboy chic!)

can the real boho please stand up?


2 Comments:

Blogger fnb said...

i still like my ikea-cheap

10:42 PM  
Blogger takeflighttonight said...

i can barely type now after carrying 30 pounds in weights 9 blocks. but. :) do u think i am still tomboy chic? i wonder if ur still bohmeian eclectic...

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home